Vegan naan bread is really simple to make and super tasty.
- 5g of Yeast
- 110ml of lukewarm water
- 1 tsp of maple syrup
- 3 tbsp of plant-based milk
- 200g of strong bread flour
- Pinch of salt
- First, add your yeast to the water and leave to activate for 10 minutes, you should start to see bubbles.
- Once activated add your yeast/water, flour, plant-based milk, maple syrup, and salt into a bowl, then stir with a wooden spoon.
- Once combined knead the dough. – (With a bread mixer 6 mins, by hand 10-15 mins)
- Place the kneaded dough into an oil lined bowl to prove, cover with a damp towel and leave to rise for around 1 hour and a half hours. (You are looking for the dough to double in size)
- Once proved, punch the dough to knock out the air and then knead again for 5 mins.
- Roll out to the desired shape. (use a little flour on your pin and work surface to prevent sticking)
- Now you are ready to cook the nan. You need to warm a frying pan with a tbsp of oil, add the rolled out dough to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Ensuring to keep pressing the dough with a spatula to prevent the dough from rising too much.
*** To keep the naan warm place in the oven at a low temperature. ***
*** You can make the nan garlic by cooking a little oil/butter and garlic in a pan on low heat. Then smother your naan and eat straight away ***
*** You can use flour on your hands to prevent sticking. But not too much, a sticky dough is better than a dry dough ***