These scones are packed full of strawberries and taste absolutely delicious.
This weekend I have an online party, which is a tea party. We were asked if we are able to source any vegan scones and I said that I would make my own. I decided to make my scones a little bit different and use strawberries instead of dried fruit. Meaning I was able to use the beautiful strawberries fresh from my garden.
The result is a scone packed full of juicy strawberries which are going to taste great with a little plant based cream and fresh sliced strawberries.
Vegan Strawberry Scones
360g Plain Flour
70g Plant-Based Butter
165ml Soya Milk
1 Cup Strawberries (cut into quarters or smaller dependent on the size of your strawberry)
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
3 Tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Start by pre-heating your oven to a gas mark 6 / 200C / 400F
- Mixed together in a bowl flour, baking powder and caster sugar. Rub/cut in the butter, a cube at a time. The texture will resemble a corse sand. (Butter needs to be cold)
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the soya milk and stir.
- Add the strawberries to your dry ingredients and then make a well in the middle and add the milk. – **Save a bit of the milk to glaze your scones **
- Mix all the ingredients with a wooden spoon and then bring it all together with your hands. I find it easier to do it as if your are kneading bread.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface and give it a knead to ensure it’s well mixed. If you find your mixture is still a little wet add more flour.
- Pin the dough on a floured surface, ensuring not to pin it out to thin. I made mine into a round shape and then cut into 8 quarters.
- Place the cut out scones onto a prepared baking tray (cover with greaseproof paper) and glaze with the remainder of your soya milk. Ensure when glazing that you only glaze the tops else your scones may come out a little misshapen.
- Place into the over for around 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Eat warm or leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Frozen strawberries can be used for this recipe, however, I wouldn’t fully thaw the strawberries as your mixture will become to wet.
- To add a little extra you could drizzle some icing over the scones.