The perfect pastry for your sweet pies and tarts.
I have introduced a new series to my YouTube channel called How To. This series will contain recipes that can be used a number of times with other ingredients. For example, I recently made mince pies using the same pastry that I have used for Vegan custard tart. Rather than keep showing you on every video how to make it, I thought I would do a completely separate video that can be referred back too. Therefore keeping the recipe videos shorter and simpler.
How to: Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
250g Plain Four
120g Plant-based butter
50g Caster Sugar
1 Flax Egg ( See notes )
- Rub the butter into the flour. Creating a breadcrumb consistency.
- Add the Flax egg to the caster sugar and mix.
- Combine the flour/ butter and sugar/flax with a wooden spoon. Add a little water to bring it all to together to make a stiff dough.
- Once done wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for around 20-30 mins.
- Try not to add too much water. It’s best to keep adding a little at a time.
- Flax egg is 1 tbsp of Flax to 3 tbsp of water. Leave in the fridge to thicken for 10 minutes.